DOWER Family History
This interesting name is occupational, deriving from the old English "dah" meaning dough, plus the agent suffix "er" (one who works with) which gives "the maker of dough, a baker". The first recording of the name dates from the 14th Century. John le Douar is entered in the Subsidy Rolls of Sussex in the year 1332. A William le Doghere is mentioned in the Subsidy Rolls of Surrey in 1333. In 1590 on September 21st Nicholas, son of John Dower, was christened at the church of St. Margaret, Westminster, London.